Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Positive Thoughts for You

 Hi!  Hope you're all staying dry today.  We've got heavy rains along with lightning and thunder today.  So much for the sunshine we've been enjoying.  I've been watching the creek behind our house steadily rising, so that's proof we're getting lots of rain right now.  But even when it rains, I can always go down to my stamp room and create my own lovely weather.  I thought about doing something sunshine-y, but just wasn't in the mood.  I've been going through  all the retired stamps and dies I have and trying to decide which to keep for awhile longer.  Since I'm seeing so many favorites, I figured I needed to make up some cards using retired products to share one last time.  How's that sound?  Today's stamp set is Positive Thoughts along with Nature's Thoughts Dies.  I just love the words of this set and have used them oodles of times.  I think this one is going into my "keepers pile".

To stick with the retiring theme here, I chose to use the lovely Just Jade cardstock and ink pad.  This color is a gorgeous soft, clear green.  Love it!  But alas it is leaving at the end of the month too.

Start with a base of Basic White cardstock that's cut to 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half.  The Just Jade layer is cut to 5 1/8" x 3 7/8".  The Basic White layer with all the stamping is cut to 4 7/8" x 3 5/8".  The dimensions on these two layers are 1/8" smaller than my usual layering dimensions because I wanted the white base layer to have more of a border framing the layers.  Just my choice for this card.

Getting ready to stamp, I debated about adding a circular layer or just masking a circle and stamping on the inside.  I chose the 2nd option for this card.  First measure and cut a piece of computer paper the same dimension as the white layer.   Using the Layering Circle Dies (the 2nd largest plain circle), die-cut a circle from the computer paper.  Tape the top edge to the work surface and tuck the white cardstock under it for stamping.

Used a Blending Brush and the Just Jade ink to softly build up some color inside the die-cut circular opening.  It's important to remember to build up layers of color rather than starting out very dark and trying to blend out the color.  I always blend some on scrap paper before going to the area I'm adding color.  It gives you so much more control of the color you're adding.  Do Not Take Off The Mask Yet!!

After blending in the color, I inked up the leafy branch from the Positive Thoughts stamp set.  The Just Jade ink is pretty potent, so I off-stamped for the initial leaves in the middle of the circle.  The two sets of leaves on the sides were off-stamped 2-3 times to get them softer looking.  

When this is as you like it, remove the mask to finish the stamping.  The sentiment from the set was stamped with Basic Gray ink on the left side.

The white stamped layer was attached to the Just Jade layer using adhesive.  These were then attached to the folded card base using Dimensionals to give it some lift.  

I thought one of the butterflies from the set would be a perfect addition.  It was stamped with Basic Gray ink onto a Basic White scrap.  It was die-cut with the coordinating die.  The butterfly was bent up in the middle area to give the wings some lift.  It was attached with Mini Glue Dots.  

Of course, this card needed some bling since it was a fairly simple card.  I decided to use some of the 2021-2023 In Color Jewels in the Evening Evergreen color.  Oh no, I just realized those jewels are retiring also!  Oh dear, I think I need to check if there are any left because I really love these!  Because these jewels are iridescent, they blend with so many colors and make them very easy to use on any similar color.  I used a larger jewel near the sentiment, and two smaller jewels on the butterfly body.

Just one last look at this card.  Even though it looks rather detailed, it's very easy to make.  The biggest problem would be to decide what you want to stamp inside the circular mask.  Of course, you could easily change the die shape to give you a totally different look to the card also.

Hope you're enjoying a look at some of the stamps, dies, and also cardstock and ink colors that are leaving the line-up.  I'm so sorry to see these old favorites retiring.  But I'm excited to get my hands on the new colors and stamps that are coming in the new catalog.  You should be getting your catalog sometime this month.  If you don't get one, please contact me about it.

Important!  I just checked and this stamp set is no longer available.  Things are going fast!  I had checked yesterday for availability, and it was there.  Now it's gone.  If you like the idea, just use different stamps!  There are plenty that would work to make a very similar card.  So sorry!!

Thanks for checking in today.  Give this idea a try and let me know how your creation turns out.  Send me a picture if you can.  I'd love to see it!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon


2 comments:

  1. Not only is the color one of my favorites, but the set and layout of the die cut opening blended and stamped within the shape is one of the best techniques - easy but produces a great looking card that looks like you worked hard to make it. Great job! Will miss that color and set!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I know I'll be missing the set and color too!! Wonder what I'll find to replace them?

      Delete