Sunday, February 11, 2024

Diagonal Split Card

Hello my friends on this dreary Sunday afternoon.  It's been so nice lately, well cold but nice anyway.  We've been spending a little time outside looking at all the work that needs to be done in the spring.  I noticed the squirrels have been digging up my iris bulbs, so I don't really know what we have left from all that we planted last year.  I have to say, the squirrels around here are certainly well fed.  They watch for us to put out the seed for the birds and get munching on it before the birds even notice it.  Needless to say, their antics are keeping us entertained.   So, all was that said to let you know I've been slack on getting these posts out lately.  In case you haven't noticed!  😉  Ok, enough with the silliness and on with the card making.  I'm sharing two cards today, because this technique gives you two cards for the time and effort of making only one.  

These two cards are made with the lovely Sale-a-bration freebie - Softly Stippled Designer Series Paper.  I hope you've gotten your hands on this paper because it's gorgeous!  The colors are soft and bright and make up into eye-catching cards.  Let's make these two together.  First I'll share the Wild Wheat card on the right and finish with the Lost Lagoon card on the left.
The card base is Wild Wheat that measures 5 1/2" x 8 1/2".  It's scored and folded in half. Next up are the DSP layers.  I cut two pieces of the stippled blue and green design the same size which is 4" x 5 1/4".  I put them back-to-back for cutting the diagonal piece.  Measure up 2 1/2" from the bottom left.  Cut from that mark to the corner of the bottom right.  Now you have a choice to make - switch the two pieces so you have one floral print and one fairly solid piece in both sizes, or flip the one set over to have the diagonal going in the opposite direction.  I didn't like the combo with the larger solid piece and the floral print smaller piece, so I turned them over and made the other card.
 
The two pieces are attached to the folded card base with "green glue" making sure that the pieces are straight and meet on the cut line.  I thought the design needed more definition to separate the layers, so a 1/4" strip of Pretty Peacock cardstock was attached over the diagonal seam.  This is also put on with "green glue".

The focal point items used for this card were the Perennial Postage stamp set and dies, Stippled Roses stamp and die set, and the Heartfelt Hexagon stamp set for one of the sentiments.

First the postage die was used to cut a Basic White piece.  Then a piece of Pretty Peacock cardstock was cut 2 1/8" x 2 7/8" to closely frame the die-cut.  The sentiment from the Heartfelt Hexagon stamp set was stamped on this with Pretty Peacock ink.  It's positioned a little higher than the middle so there's plenty of room for the rose.

The rose and extra leaves are from the Stippled Roses set.  They're stamped with Pretty Peacock ink onto Basic White cardstock.  I used a Blender Pen to define the rose some in the shadows and to add a bit of Old Olive ink very lightly to the leaves.  I didn't want to lose the Pretty Peacock edges on the leaves.  After stamping they are die-cut with the matching dies in the Bundle.  

The sentiment was attached to the card with Dimensionals.  Then the leaves were attached under the rose with adhesive.  Then the rose was attached to the label with adhesive and a Dimensional was placed under the leaves to hold them up.  The three little sequins are Pretty Peacock color and come from the Adhesive-backed Sequins Trio found in the Annual Catalog.

I made several changes while creating this card.  The card base was changed to Lost Lagoon.  Because I liked the floral print being the larger part of the card front, the diagonal goes in the opposite direction.  The layers were attached the same and the 1/4" strip of Pretty Peacock is the same.

For the focal point, I chose a smaller die from the Perennial Postage die set to fit the sentiment.  The sentiment this time is from the Perennial Postage stamp set.  It's also backed with Pretty Peacock cardstock and stamped to match.

The leaves are cut from both Lost Lagoon and Pretty Peacock cardstock.  The dies are from the Stippled Rose Die set.  These pieces have so much detail on them that they make quite an interesting accent.  The two larger pieces are attached behind the label, with the bitty piece attached on top.  The label is attached to the card using Dimensionals.  

The pretty faceted gems are one of the Sale-a-bration items also, but it's very easy to miss.  I love this soft Pool Party color as an accent on this design, and the facets give the gems a surprising sparkle.  

Hope you enjoy this way of making your Designer Paper really take center stage as the main attraction.  Sometimes these prints are just too pretty to hide behind a lot of layers and doodads.  At least, that's my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.  

I had fun making these two cards.  It's not quite how I had planned to make the cards.  The second card really should have had the mostly solid print on the top and only the small triangle for the floral print.  After playing around with the design, I'm so happy I flipped it over and went in this direction.  Give this a try with one of your favorite DSP prints and let me know how it worked out for you.

The month of February is almost half over already.  Where does the time go?  If you've still got plans to get some of those Sale-a-bration items, don't put it off and get disappointed.  

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your time with me.  It's always wonderful to read any comment you might want to leave for me.  I love hearing from you.  Hope your Valentine cards are all made and in the mail.  Hope all my cards arrive in time so you know I'm thinking of you!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon


2 comments:

  1. I have to comment - this is my favorite of the papers in that SAB DSP set. The colors and softness are perfect. Love the layout and the colors you use and the embellishments on both cards. Love checking your posts when I get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Connie. You know I always appreciate your insight and comments.

      Delete