Monday, July 20, 2026

Time for Another Layout

Hello friends.  While meandering through all the interesting Pinterest card ideas, I kept seeing cards that had a similar layout.  This is something that I've used through the years and thought it was time to get it out and try it with current ideas.  I love having layouts that work well through the years and always look fresh and current because of the colors and papers used.  I think this is definitely one of them!  This layout also works well with either a landscape or portrait style card.  Let me show you what I mean.

We'll start with the portrait style card.  This card features the Valley in Bloom Designer Series Paper.  The print is cut to measure 4" x 3 1/2".  Then this piece is cut into 4 pieces with each piece measuring 1" x 3 1/2".  You want to keep these strips in the correct order for constructing your card later.

Next is a layer that measures 4 1/2" x 3 1/4".  This lets the under-layer show on each side when finished.   I used Basic White cardstock for this layer, but you can use whatever works best for your design. Position each of the DSP strips on the layer until it looks right.  Then each strip is attached to the base layer as shown.  Can you see how the DSP ends overlap the white layer on the sides, and the ends of the white layer show at the top and bottom?  That's the basic look you want from this layout.

For the card, Cloud Cover cardstock was chosen as the card base because it blended nicely with the DSP print, and it keeps the whole design sort of 'misty' looking.  It measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" and is folded in half.  The white layer is attached to the card base with Dimensionals to enhance the design look.

A sentiment from the Simply Leaves stamp set was used.  I just love this sentiment not only because of what it says, but the two fonts used on each of the sentiments in this set make them really stand out.  It's stamped on a long 1/2" strip of Basic White cardstock using Pretty Peacock ink.  After stamping, the ends were trimmed closer to the words and given a fishtail cut with paper snips to finish it.

The design just needed something more to make it special.  Then I remembered the geometric die that's part of the Lily of the Valley die set.  I die-cut it from Basic White Thick cardstock so it would be a little sturdier.  It's added to the card front with touches of adhesive.  Then the sentiment is attached over this with Dimesionals.

Of course, the design needed just a bit of subtle bling.  The 2026 - 2028 In Color Dots in the Peaceful Pine color were used here.  They're very subtle, but the bit of iridescent shine on them gives the card a soft glisten.  Just what I wanted for this card.

The inside of the card has a white cardstock layer.  There is a 1/2" strip of a different Valley in Bloom print was added to the bottom of this layer before attaching inside.

Now you've seen how this layout works in portrait style cards, let's see how the same layout works for a landscape style card.

This time, my DSP layer comes from the Waterside Retreat Designer Series Paper.  The design pictured is bigger than the 4" x 3 1/2" that is needed for this layout.  It needed a little creative cutting - some off the top, the bottom, and the left side to get the correct dimensions. Then the piece was cut into 1" strips for the design.

Again, I used Basic White for the backing layer which measures 4 1/2" x 3 1/4".  The strips were arranged on this and attached with adhesive.  This was attached to the Pool Party card base with Dimensionals.

The sentiment used here is from Fragrant Layer stamp set.  It's stamped with Misty Moonlight ink onto a 5/8" wide strip of Basic White cardstock.  It's trimmed close then fishtailed with Paper Snips.   It's added to the bottom of the design with Dimensionals.

The inside of the card is a layer of Basic White cardstock.  It has a 1/4" strip of the same DSP (but the striped back side) added to either side of the white layer.  They're attached with adhesive.  These strips came from the area on the left side of the front design that was too wide.  Never throw away those scraps.  You never know when they'll be the perfect accent to the card!

I made another card with this same layout.  At least it was the same until I cut the white layer wrong.  After thinking about it, I decided to share my boo-boos too.  This is how learning happens.  If everything came out perfect the first time, I guess it means I'm not stretching myself enough and trying different things.  Besides it's only paper and I can try again!

So the mistake was only cutting it 4 1/4" long so the DSP comes right to the edges instead of the white showing at the edges.  I thought I'd still put it together as I'd planned and see how I liked it.  

For this one, I used Hydrangea Hue cardstock and the beautiful Delicate Dreams DSP which is currently unavailable.  This paper is just beautiful.  I guess lots of people agree on that.  It will be coming back in stock, so watch for it.

This sentiment comes from the Lily of the Valley set.  I don't remember the name of punch I used - sorry.    The ink color is Hydrangea Hue.  The label has just a hint of the blue around it.  I used a marker tip to run around the edges.  The label also has a spattering of the same marker for added color.  

Did you notice the small strip of ribbon that's tucked under the label?  For the bling this time, I added some of the retired Brass Butterflies to flit in the design.  Thought they were a good size and the new ones got lost in all the busyness of the print.  

I still think the first version of this layout is great.  Not so crazy about the mistake version.  I should have just set the wrong-sized cardstock aside and recut to the correct measurements.  But I had to try.  You never know whether an idea will work if you don't try it.  This mistake is ok, but not as eye-catching as the first version as far as I'm concerned.  It's something I don't want to do the wrong way again.

I'm so glad you stopped by today.  Let me know what you think about this layout.  I think I should use it more often.  What do you think?

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. I like this layout. It adds interest, especially when lifted with dimensionals. The colors are a wonderful, dreamy blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! Hope you're enjoying your summer.

      Delete