Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Making Waves Again

Hello, hello!  Hope you're all having a great day out there. I told you I'd be playing in the waves some more, and I was definitely telling the truth.  I find it so intriguing that the creations using either just the stamps, just the dies, or both of them together can give you so many different looks and feels. Today's card has an island vibe going on, and it reminds me of our cruise around the Hawaiian Islands back a good number of years ago.  I truly loved the beauty and splendor that was just about everywhere you looked.  Just gorgeous.  That's what my thoughts were on when this card was created.

This card started out with one of the beautiful pages of the Waves of the Ocean Designer Series Paper.  I liked the tones of pinks and blues colliding into a frothy, foamy-looking type of shoreline.  A 5" x 3 3/4" piece was cut to build my scene on.  I was going to use it in a portrait style card, but felt I needed more space across to fit my design so switched it to be landscape style.  All the stamping was done before I chose the cardstock colors for making the card base and layering.

The DSP and wave stamp were placed on the Stamparatus so I could get the wave exactly where I wanted it.  That was a stroke of genius because I actually stamped the wave 3 times with Bermuda Bay ink to get it as dark as I wanted.  I'm finding that this stamp works so much better on the Stamparatus to get a clean look and also to stamp multiple times with either the same color or more than one color to get added shading and/or depth of color.  This is pretty much a must-have staple in my humble opinion.

After getting the wave colored the way I wanted it, I moved on to the island placement.  I used one of the stamps in the Oceanfront stamp set which was the smaller land or water stamp.  I used Crumb Cake ink that was off-stamped, and stamped multiple times in the same general area, but not right on top of itself.  This gave me a soft, almost misty-looking, land mass that was off in the distance.  I inked up the trio of palms from the Paradise Palms stamp set using Soft Suede and Old Olive markers, off-stamped and then stamped onto the masked land area.  This gave me shorter palm trees that weren't way too big for the card.   It also kept it all looking more in the distance than if the colors were darker and crisper looking.  The sun from the Paradise Palms set was also stamped in the top corner using Daffodil Delight ink.  Then I used a Blending Brush with the same ink to put a sunny halo around the sun.  I put the sun on this corner of the card because there was already yellow on that edge of the Designer Paper that I was using.  Looking closely, you can see more of it in the water area and a bit under the land area too.  

At this point, I decided that I liked the darker Bermuda Bay surrounding the card as a layer and Coastal Cabana as the card base.  The DSP was layered onto the Bermuda Bay using adhesive, then was attached to the card base using Dimensionals.  I thought the Rhinestone Waves Basic Jewels in the Coastal Cabana color looked nice sparkling in the water.  I added three of them going up the curl of the wave and two more in the foam of the water splashing down.

The sentiment is from the Paradise Palms set.  I used the Stamparatus again for stamping because it needed several stampings to get the Bermuda Bay color as dark as I wanted.  It was punched out using the Double Oval Punch with the plain oval for the white layer and the scallop oval for the Bermuda Bay layer.  These were added to the left of the card using Dimensionals to pop it up.

I hope you give this Waves of the Ocean Collection a try.  I'm finding it to be so much fun trying different techniques to achieve amazing possibilities.  So far, the Waves of the Ocean DSP, the Blue Foils Specialty Paper, and the Rhinestones Waves Basic Jewels are all still available.  Remember these three items will not be in the upcoming catalog like the stamps and dies.  When they sell out, that will be it.  Which is really too bad because they're so much fun to create with!  The information on this collection can all be found at the top right corner of my blog.  If you're getting this post in your email, just click on the header and it should take you directly to my blog.    Be sure and leave me a comment if you like what I've been doing.  I appreciate your comments!

Thanks for stopping in again to see what's going on.  I've been getting my list of customers together for mailing out the new 2022-2023 Annual Catalog.  Yes, it's time for moving on from the past year onto the next fun edition of our Annual Catalog.  That reminds me that I haven't mentioned the older In Colors that will be retiring with the old catalog - Cinnamon Cider, Just Jade, Bumblebee, Magenta Madness, and Misty Moonlight.  Boy, I'm really going to miss some of these colors!  If you need any cardstock, ink pads, markers, or ink refills for these colors, now is the time to order.  The new In Colors will be unveiled along with all the new stamps, dies, and other goodies.  I can't wait to see what will coming in the new catalog!  Hope you're excited too.  That also means I'll have a retiring list available soon, so keep your eyes peeled so you won't miss out on anything!

Happy stamping and creating!
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. This card is beautifully composed - the way you used the DSP really makes the scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barb! Your words mean so much to me!!

      Delete