Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Courage and Faith Cards

Hello there.  I have to tell you a sad little story.  On Saturday I went out to feed the cute little fish in my pond.  It seemed like there weren't quite as many as usual and there seemed to be no frog's hopping out of the way and hiding.  Hmmm.  It rained all Saturday night and throughout Sunday, so I never went out to feed them.  Monday morning, I went for my usual morning visit with my fish and frogs, but I couldn't find a single one.  I was cleaning out the pond, still no fish.  How could I have killed them all off?  What had I done?  I felt so sad I had to make some brownies to cheer myself up.  Oh yes, and I ate few too.  This morning, Heather came by early and as she pulled into the driveway, she startled a heron that was standing in the pond.  It took off and it was much bigger than it looks like down in the creek which is yards and yards away.  Oh no!  Guess it's been snacking on my fish and frogs and ate them all up.  At least I know what happened, but I'm still not happy about it.  We'll have to figure out how to heron-proof the pond before we buy any more fish, that's for sure!

Ok, that's my sad tale for the day.  Not exactly what you came here for, is it?  So let's move on.  Today I worked on two cards that were needed.  I wanted to use the new Courage & Faith stamp set (page 72) for both of these cards and thought the Fresh as a Daisy Designer Series Paper would be a quick and easy solution.  Here's what I came up with to share with you.

I love this blue and white daisy print and wish I had more.  I cut a 5 1/8" strip through the middle of the sheet.  There was still 4" on the top for some other cards and a strip from the bottom that was left over.  I know those strips of daisies will come in handy soon.  I cut it this way, because I wanted the daisies to be near the top of the cards, but not chopped off at the top.  I almost felt guilty cutting right into the middle of the paper, but it's all good and will get used soon.  The DSP was then cut into three 4" sections.  Each was trimmed down a bit to 3 7/8".  I was playing around trying to decide just how much I wanted off the sides and kept all the tiny strips for later use.
This is the first card I made with this print design and wasn't too sure what I'd come up with.  But I liked the finished one enough to actually make two of these.  After cutting the DSP, I decided to layer it onto the new Copper Clay 2023-2025 In Color cardstock.  This is a gorgeous coppery brown color that I really love.  The measurements for this layer are 5 1/4" x 4".  The DSP is attached directly to this with 'green glue'. 

The sentiment is from the Courage & Faith stamp set.  There are some great Bible verses along with some greenery sprigs that make up the set.  It was one of the earliest items I purchased, and I know I'll use it often.  I like that each sentiment has the place listed where to find it in the Bible too.  I couldn't find a current die set that fit this sentiment.  I rummaged around in my retired sets and found this one in the Tasteful Textures set.  It's die-cut from Basic White cardstock, then the sentiment is stamped with Copper Clay ink.  

To keep it simple, the new Copper Clay 3/8" Textured Ribbon was wrapped around these two layers and attached with Tear & Tape Adhesive (page 138).  This is a quick and easy way to get your ribbon to stick well to the back of your card.  Then the sentiment layer had Dimensionals added along the top and bottom of the die-cut.  This allows the ribbon to slide in between.

To finish off the card, attach the layers to the front of a Basic White card front with Dimensionals.  The card base measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" scored in half and folded.  

For the pretty bling, I used three of the 2023-2025 In Color Dots.  This color is Boho Blue.  So lovely.

Now for the other card sample...

Of course, there are a few changes here.  First of all, the card base is the new Boho Blue cardstock that matches nicely with the blues in the DSP.  Again, the layers are attached to the base with Dimenisonals for some extra height.

Still using the Courage & Faith set, I changed up the sentiment, so I could also change the die to fit it.  This is one of the Tailor Made Tags and I think it works very well here.  Don't you love the stitching that defines the tag?  There is a short length of some retired copper ribbon from a couple years ago that's strung through the tag.  The sentiment is still stamped with Copper Clay ink.



Now remember all those bits of DSP that were cut from the sides of the daisy layer for the three cards?  Well, here they are showing their lovely back sides to us.  Since I was trying to see how much I wanted to take off the sides, there were different widths of DSP to play with.  I decided to use all three sizes and attach to the card front in a stair step fashion.  They were all about 5" long, so the extra was trimmed off after adding them to the card.

To finish the card, the tag was attached to the front with Dimensionals.  I didn't add any bling on this card.  It seemed too much with the three strips of DSP that were added already.  But of course, you could always add some if you wanted.

Thanks for stopping by today to see what's new.  So sorry you had to listen to me vent about my fish and frogs disappearing, but I really am upset about them being gone.

Heads Up ladies!  Did someone say sale???  Stampin'Up! is having a Designer Series Paper sale during the month of June.  You can save 15% off on any and all of the DSP's shown on pages 129 - 132.  How awesome is that!?  I know I'll be getting another package of the Fresh as a Daisy DSP.  And maybe a few other besides!  Love those sales!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. These daisies are simply lovely! Blue and copper are perfect together - opposite sides of the color wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. I think they look so fresh and pretty.

      Delete