Thursday, July 20, 2023

Layering Leaves in Blues

Hello friend!  It's been a while since my last post, and I apologize for that.  Seems like I've been running into the problem of supply issues.  I really hate to post a card when I know the major items are on backorder and will be for a while.  There's almost nothing more frustrating than wanting to order a stamp set and you can't get it for another couple of weeks or longer.  I know because there are some items I'm waiting for myself.  So today, I sat down to make a card and decided to use the Layering Leaves set (page 96).  As far as I know they are available.  It's one of those few sets that do not have a coordinating die set, but there is a punch (page 148) that works.  So that's where we're going today.

Like I mentioned, I was thinking of going for a blue card to match the weather - kind of blue-gray and sprinkling.  You know what kind of day I mean.  The base of the card starts with Night of Navy.  Always a good choice when working with blues.  It is cut at 11" x 4 1/4", scored at 5 1/2" and folded in half.  The first layer on this is Boho Blue to get those grayish tones in from the weather.  It measures 5 1/8" x 3 7/8".  If you hate to do the eighth inch cuts, you can make it 5 1/4" x 4".  This will give you a smaller navy border, but a larger Boho Blue border.  Your choice.  The next layer is one of the Countryside Inn Designer Series Paper prints.  I love this floral with the solid and open-work flowers and leaves throughout the pattern.  This is cut at 5" x 3 3/4".  It's attached to the Boho Blue layer with adhesive.  Then attached flat to the card base with adhesive.
The focal point is all attached to a Basic White cardstock piece that measures, 4 1/8" x 2 3/4".  It's backed with a piece of Night of Navy that is 4 1/4" x 2 7/8".  Before attaching together, let's do a little stamping.

The Layering Leaves are used here.  The more open leaf set is stamped twice on Boho Blue cardstock with Night of Navy ink.  Check how the coordinating punch will work before stamping the leaves on the cardstock so as not to waste lots of cardstock.

On the Basic White layer, stamp the veined leaf set with Night of Navy ink.  I stamped it close to center about 1/2" down from the top.  Then stamped the fill-in stamp with Night of Navy ink that had been off-stamped.  This makes it a little darker than the Boho Blue leaves.  

There are also two of the little buds punched from the More Dazzle Specialty Paper (page 127).  These will add a pop of interest because of their sequin-like sparkle.   

Lastly the sentiment was stamped on Basic White with the Night of Navy ink to match.  I chose 'hello' from the Layering Leaves set.  Good number of general sentiments that can be used every day.  The sentiment was die-cut with the Stylish Shapes die set.

Now it's time to put it all together. I added adhesive behind the sentiment, then started attaching the stems to it.  When I had them positioned the way I liked, I ran two strips of Adhesive Strips to the top and bottom of the label.  These hold all the stems in place and give it height when it's attached to the card.  

A double bow of 2022-2024 In Color Baker's Twine was added to the card.  There was about 14" used to make the double bow.  The Starry Sky color was used because it blended nicely with the Night of Navy used here.  The bow was attached with Mini Glue Dots.

The inside of the card has a layer of Basic White that measures 5 1/4" x 4.  The sentiment from the Layering Leaves set was stamped in Night of Navy ink.  The same leaves that I used on the front were added to the left of the sentiment.  The same Night of Navy ink was used but was off-stamped before stamping onto the card.  A 3/4" strip of the same print was added to the bottom of the white layer to finish.

Looking at the finished card, I decided maybe it wasn't quite finished yet.  Three gems from the Tinsel Gems Three-Pack were added for more interest.  These are the Misty Moonlight color, but I liked how they accentuated the different blues on the card already.

Well, that's it for now.  I think everything used here is actually available.  And nothing is retired either!  Hallelujah!  I seem to have a hard time staying away from my retired stash!!  I really like how the card turned out with the mixture of blues.  And I'm really liking the Layering Leaves used with the Countryside Inn DSP.  What a lovely mix together!

Don't forget that Bonus Days are still going on until the end of July.   For every $50 you spend, Stampin'Up! will give you a $5 coupon to use next month.  What a nice bonus!  Make sure you hang on to your Bonus Coupons!  The code number from each will be needed next month to redeem them.

Thanks for stopping by.  Hope you're enjoying your summer - heat and all!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments: