Wednesday, August 9, 2023

CASE-ing Peggy Noe

Hello, hello!  Hope you're all doing well and staying happy.  Of course, if you're stamping and creating, you must be happy!  Right?  It always makes me happy to create even when things don't go quite as planned.  You know what I mean?  This morning I was looking at a blog post by Peggy Noe at prettypapercards.com.  I saw a lovely simple card idea and I just had to make it - my way.  Now that it's finished, I might like her version better than mine, but that's all right.  I like to look at someone's idea (or more than one someone's ideas) and go downstairs to my stamp room and create by making my version of "what I remember".  That sometimes really makes me laugh because my version ends up being nothing like the original.  But that's ok too.  So it was with this card.

Here's the simple card I ended up making.  If you go to her blog, you'll see some glaring differences.  First the color.  I changed it from Berry Burst to Pool Party.  Big difference!  I added the card base of Pool Party that measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2" that's folded in half.  The Basic White layer measuring 5 1/4" x 4" is also cut.

The dragonflies were punched from Basic White cardstock with the current Dragonfly Punch.  One large and 5 small ones were punched.  I kind of got carried away with the number of small dragonflies.
Another large dragonfly was punched from Vellum.  A last dragonfly was punched from a scrap of More Dazzle Specialty DSP in the Champagne color.  The wings were trimmed off this last one to keep only the body.

We're not done punching yet.  The smaller oval in the Double Oval Punch was used on Basic White for the sentiment.  The Bough Punch was used on Basic White cardstock to punch 3 sets of leaves and 3 flower stems.

Next it was time to do some coloring.  Using Pool Party ink and a Blending Brush, a minute bit of color was added to the center of the white layer that was already cut making sure to keep it very light.  The white dragonfly and the 3 flower stems were colored with the same ink and Blending Brush.  This time the color was added more heavily.  Then the sentiment from the Go To Greetings was stamped in Pool Party ink onto the center of the punched oval.  

Just about all that's left to do is assemble it all.  The Vellum dragonfly was attached to the colored one using Mini Glue Dots on the body only.  The glittery body was layered onto this with Mini Glue Dots also.  It was attached to the card front with Dimensionals cut in skinny strips to place under just the body so the whole dragonfly hovers above the card.

The white leaves were trimmed at the stems and tucked under the dragonfly.  The oval sentiment is attached with Dimensionals.  The little dragonflies were attached with one Mini Glue Dot on the center of each body to hold in place.

The Dark Pool Party Blends marker was used to add the spatterings.  Just flick the tip from the inside of the lid to get the spatters.  You can add as few or as many as you like.  Just be gentle with the tip of the marker so it doesn't get ugly and unusable.  This is a juicy new Blends marker that I used so the spatters are fairly large.

Lastly the gems were added to the dragonfly.  Yup, this really upped the glitz factor on the card.  Peggy only used one on her card, but I got carried away again.  These gems are from the Glossy Dots set and are the Pool Party color of course.

Ok, that's my version of her simple card.  It only took about 30 minutes or less to make, so it's a perfect idea for when you're in a hurry and need a card now.  I'm thinking that changing the colors, sentiment, and amount of dragonflies and gems would give you a very versatile card that would be handy to have on hand.  I've still got a few ideas rolling around in my brain about changes to the card idea.  Hmmm, I might have to make another card soon and go with these other ideas.

Okay, today's reminder is about using your Bonus Days coupons.  Don't forget that at the end of August they expire.  So use them soon!  The Kit Sale is going on this month also.  Some really great kits for you to choose for yourself or as a gift, and they're 30% off.  Woo Hoo!  

And last, but certainly not least, your new September - December Mini should be arriving in your mailbox soon!  Yay!!  Ordering will commence September 6th.  Are you excited?  This always gets me revved up to start on my Thanksgiving and Christmas cards.  If you do Halloween cards, there are some adorable ideas that you'll just love.  

Be sure to stop in again soon to see what's happening here.  

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. I did check out Peggy Noe's card, and I think that basing the card on card stock of the focal color was a good idea. It frames the artwork and enhances the delicate color (and I like pool party - a lot!). I also like the additional gems as they seem to focus the color of the wings versus the body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holding the actual card in my hand this morning, I really like it. Many times, I second guess myself when trying to follow someone else's ideas. Thanks for your comments that build me up. I agree about the body, I thought it was a bit flashy for the softness of the rest of the card.

      Delete
  2. I think we all second guess our designs at one time or another. I don't have the dragonfly punch, but I'm thinking I may try something similar - I really like the soft color and design.

    ReplyDelete