Monday, February 5, 2024

Framed Open Window Card

Hello there.  Last week a friend asked me to explain how to do a Framed Open Window card.  After trying to explain it, I figured it would be easier to actually make the cuts for the card and text her the pictures.  That was fine, but I had this card base ready to go and it was just sitting there.  So, today was the day I finished up the card.  I figured I might as well post it in case anyone else doesn't know how to make it.  There are probably other ways to make this, but this is what I have found to work.  Hope it all makes sense to you.

This is where I start making the Framed Open Window card.  This measures 4" x 5 1/4" on the outside edge.  The inner part is die-cut with the 2nd largest die from the Scalloped Contours Die set.  Carefully center this on the layer before cutting.  I used two small pieces of washi tape to hold the die in place.  After die-cutting, the piece was embossed with the Softly Sophisticated Embossing Folder which is part of a free Sale-a-bration item.  I love the delicate design on this embossing folder and have used it very often already.
The next step is to place the die-cut layer onto the folded card base.  For this I used Bubble Bath cardstock.  It's already folded so I have the parameters for placing the white layer.  The 3rd largest Scalloped Contours die is placed inside the window and centered inside the white piece.  This die was also tacked down with washi tape to hold it in place while cutting.

TIP:  Sometimes washi tape can be too sticky to remove easily after using.  To help this, I usually tack it to my jeans 2-3 times to lessen the stickiness.  This helps when removing the tape, so it doesn't rip the cardstock.

After all the die-cutting and embossing is finished, the layer was attached to the Bubble Bath card front using "green" glue.

For finishing my card, I used the Darling Details Bundle found on page 68 in the Annual Catalog.  The large fluffy flower and the daisy-style flower were both stamped with Bubble Bath ink.  First the detailed layer was stamped with the ink full-strength.  Then the solid layer was off-stamped before stamping it over the flower details.  The leaves were stamped with Lost Lagoon ink.  The three-leaf cluster solid stamp was off-stamped first, then the veining was stamped full strength over this.

The tiny flowers which are also part of the set were stamped with Boho Blue and Berry Burst inks.  These colors were off-stamped to keep them a lighter tone to blend with the rest of the card.  Everything was die-cut with the matching dies in the bundle.  

All of the flowers and leaves are positioned on the rim of the opening.  The two larger flowers are attached first using Dimensionals in the center of each flower.  The single leaf is cut apart from the other two.  They are tucked in under the flowers.  The little flowers are tucked around the arrangement and attached with Mini Glue Dots.  

The inside of the card has a 4" x 5 1/4" layer of Basic White cardstock.  The sentiment from the Courage & Faith stamp set was stamped inside the window using Basic Gray ink.

The butterfly comes from the Paper Butterfly Accents in the Mini Catalog.  These are so pretty by themselves, but I decided to add a little color to the outer edges of the wings.  Using a Blender Brush and Berry Burst ink, the color is added very lightly and built up to the intensity that I wanted.  The center stayed white.  It was added to the card front using two Mini Glue Dots in the center.

For the finishing touches, the Iridescent Pearl Basic Jewels were tucked around the floral accent.  Three extra pearls were added to define the butterfly body.  

So, I still have the cut-out pieces from this card.  That will have to be the next project on my to-do list.  Still thinking on what I should make using those pieces.  

Don't forget about all the offerings available now for Sale-a-bration.  Time is fleeting and you don't want to miss out on those fabulous choices.  I've been loving both the Flight & Airy DSP and the Softly Sophisticated stamp and embossing folder bundle.  I tend to grab both of those often when the creating bug hits.  Both are turning into must-have items for me.

Thanks for hanging out with me today.  If you haven't made one of these cards before, you should give this a try.  You can use any shape of die for the window, as long as there are two consecutive sizes that work together.  A really good set of dies for this type of card would be the Stylish Shapes Dies.  Let me know if you try these.

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment