Saturday, August 29, 2026

Painted Pumpkin Stencils

Hello stamping friends!  Happy almost fall y'all.  So, let's talk a minute.  What are your thoughts on stencils for cardmaking?  Have you tried them?  Do you like them?  I'm totally hooked on the idea, so I of course had to get the Painted Pumpkins Bundle found on page 30 of the new catalog.  I'll admit that the colors SU! chose for displaying the suite aren't quite my cup of tea for fall.  But that said, I couldn't wait to get my hands on the stamps, dies, and coordinating stencils.  They are so much fun to play around with to get different color combos.  I've got my first card made with these stencils to share with you.  It's just a simple card with a few layers including some pretty DSP and a few stenciled and die-cut pumpkins to round it out.  Psst - if you don't like seeing any retired items used, then you don't want to go any further.  This uses a retired die, woven trim, and bling.  Sorry, sometimes you just have to use what works!


The first thing done to make this card was to stencil the three pumpkins onto Basic White cardstock.  The stencils in the Painted Pumpkins bundle have 4 stencils for the pumpkins and 1 stencil that is leaves and vines that would cover a card front size area.  So far, I've only used the pumpkins stencils, but will get around to the leaves at a later date.

The first batch of pumpkins stenciled used Crisp Cantaloupe ink and stencils labelled 1-3 to build the pumpkin colors.  Then a bit of Timid Tiger was added to the third stencil layer to darken it a little.  The fourth stencil adds the stems to each of the pumpkins.  For this I used Crumb Cake ink to keep the pumpkins on the light side.

After the stenciling was finished, these pumpkins were die-cut with the matching die from the set.  While die-cutting, I also cut several loose leaves and all the vines that are in the set.  For cutting, I took a section of Basic White Thick cardstock and Blending Brushes with several green inks - Garden Green, Old Olive, and Peaceful Pine.  The colors were swirled, light and dark, and blended into a fun mixture that was perfect for die-cutting all the leaves and vines.  You can see multiple greens on each piece.  Now that all the pieces were ready, it was time to plan the card.

The layer needed for these pumpkins to reside on was die-cut with the (R) Textured Notes dies from Peaceful Pine cardstock.  I really liked the contrast of this green with the pumpkin colors.  This die measures approximately 4 3/4" x 3 1/4".

Next, a length of (R) Irregular Weave Trim was wrapped around this and taped in the back.  The earthy neutral trim fit in well with this design.  After attaching the trim, the pumpkins were arranged on the right side.  The largest was attached flat with adhesive, and the other two were layered on with Dimensionals.  One of the vines was tucked in over the pumpkins, and the other one was tucked behind.  The leaves on the vines each have a Mini Dimensional behind it to give it depth.

The sentiment is from the Thanks & Giving set.  You'll find this in the Online Exclusive section starting Sept. 1st.  It's stamped with Pecan Pie ink onto a Basic White scrap.  Then it was cut with scissors.  It's attached to the layer with a Dimensional in the center.  Then a couple of loose leaves are tucked under it.

Now, on to the card base.  This is Pecan Pie cardstock that measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2".  It's scored and folded in half.

It took a while to decide on a DSP print to use.  I wanted to stay rather muted and let the pumpkins shine.  Looking through my stash, I found this lovely muted Peaceful Pine print in the new Autumn Opulence Designer Series Paper that I just love.  It's so unassuming, but it was just what this design needed.  This will be another Online Exclusive find on Sept. 1st.  A layer was cut that measures 5 1/4" x 4".  It's attached to the card base with adhesive.  Then the Peaceful Pine layer that was just finished was added to the center with adhesive also.

Several (R) Low-Profile Dots in a soft Petal Pink color were added.  Surprisingly these looked perfect with the Crisp Cantaloupe pumpkins.

Now, to finish off the inside of the card.  Another piece of the Autumn Opulence DSP was added.  This measures 5" x 4".

Then a layer of Basic White was cut that measures 4" x 3".  On this, another one of the sentiments in the Thanks & Giving set was stamped in the left corner using Pecan Pie ink.

There's also a tiny pumpkin stamp in this set that is so cute.  It's stamped in the bottom right corner with Pecan Pie ink.  Then Crisp Cantaloupe and Crumb Cake Stampin'Blends were used to add a little color.  Then the white layer was attached inside the card with adhesive.  And that's it.

Thanks for hanging out with me today.  If you haven't tried using the Decorative Masks (stencils) yet, I hope you give them a try.  It's really fun seeing how the colors blend and change as you keep adding layers until you have the final design.

Remember, the new catalog starts September 1st, just two more days to wait!  I'm so excited to see what you'll be getting and the fun things you'll make.  I'd love to hear what you're creating!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment