Sunday, April 25, 2021

A Little New, A Little Old

 I've been making cards lately using some of retiring stamps, dies, and other goodies.  Today's card is a little old and a little new.  Kind of schizophrenic in a way.  I wanted to use the Ornate Borders dies again.  I think they're so pretty and feminine and just can't get enough of them.  But what to pair them with?  I had received my new Hand-Penned Designer Series Paper and it was sitting out on the table (because it was too pretty to put away - I just wanted to admire it!)  So why not use it for this card?  I've been so good not using all my new stuff right away and causing you to get frustrated because you can't get it yet.  Unless you want to sign up as a demonstrator - then you could get it in your kit.  Talk to me if you're interested.   Anyway, today was the day it was coming out to play.

Here's the card I made and I'm so happy with the terrific mix of retiring products and totally new ones.  Can you find the different ones?  Ok, I'll help you out here.  They'll be marked with R or N.

The card starts with a Misty Moonlight(R) base cut at 4 1/4" x 11".  This ended up being a side-fold card though instead of a top-fold.  Just a little different.
The pretty print is from the Hand-Penned Designer Series Paper(N).  Isn't it lovely?  It's so delicate and the colors are all pastels so it's my favorite right there!  I used the openwork rose border die from the Ornate Borders Dies(R) on this to compliment the floral print and really stand out from the Misty Moonlight background.
Before I attached it to the card base, I added two strips of the Seaside Spray Metallic Ribbon(R) that is also retiring.  It was perfect to add a little contrast and also a little subtle bling to the card.  I attached these to the backside of the DSP with adhesive then attached the whole thing to the card base.  Then it was time for the fun to really begin!

I knew I wanted to add little added flowers to the card around the sentiment, but I needed to figure out the sentiment first.  After looking at lots of stamps, I chose to use one of the sentiments in the Best Year stamp set.  I thought the font on this went nicely with the pretty DSP print.   I stamped on Basic White using Misty Moonlight ink and cut it out with the Rectangle Stitched Dies.  This is not retiring and for that I'm very grateful!  Then on to the little accent flowers.  For this, I chose the Wreath Builder Dies(R).  Just a little side note here - if you don't own the Arrange A Wreath and Wreath Builder Dies, you don't know what you're missing out on.  Either together or separately, these two items are definitely must haves in my humble opinion.  I've used each of them so many times I've practically worn them out.  But I still love them both and tend to grab them to use on so many projects I make.

For the flower colors, I used Purple Posy(R), Fresh Freesia(N), and Seaside Spray(R).  I thought they all played nicely together, so on the bling.  For the larger flowers in the purple-y shades, I used the new 2021-2023 InColor Jewels(N).  These are extra sparkly and simply gorgeous.  For the Seaside Spray tiny flowers, I used the tiniest sequins from the Woven Threads Sequins set(R).  These were attached with a tiny dot of the MultiPurpose Liquid Glue and my Take a Pick Tool to place them properly.

Lastly was the inside of the card to finish.  I carried the pretty Hand-Penned Designer Series Paper inside with a strip to the left side.  I used a different border die from the same die set to cut the lacy border.  The words were from the Best Year stamp set to coordinate with the card front.  They were also stamped with Misty Moonlight ink.

Ok, that's my slightly schizo card.  It really couldn't decide if it was a sneak peak or a goodbye to old friends type of card.  But I love how all the colors meshed together so well.  That's one of the things I love about Stampin'Up!  I'm really into 'matchy-matchy' stuff.  And even though some of these colors are old and retiring and some are new and up-to-the-minute, they still love to hang out and play together.  That's what this is all about.  Taking what you have and bringing in new and fresh ideas and making them all work together to make something that is pleasing to you.  Have fun playing with your old friends, but don't be afraid to make some new friends that you'll love just as well!

That's it for today.  I'm happy the sun is out and making my world bright again.  Yesterday was so dark and rainy that I just had a hard time creating and got into a funk. Just ask my hubby!  *grins*   But the sun is out today and so is the creativity.  Enjoy your day and make the most of it!  

Happy Sunday!
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment