Thursday, April 29, 2021

Tri-Fold Magnolia Card

 Hi there!  Hope you're having a great day.  I have something so pretty to share with you today.  It's using more of my retiring products that I'll miss creating with on a regular basis.  But even if you don't use the Good Morning Magnolia stamp and coordinating dies to make a card like this, the idea is totally awesome!    It's a tri-fold card that makes excellent use of the lovely prints of the Stampin'Up! Designer Series Papers.  I usually struggle with which side of the papers I want to use first, because they are both so nice.  On this card, you'll see how both sides are highlighted and shown off to their very best.

Here's what I was playing with.  Unfortunately the Good Morning Magnolia stamp and Magnolia Memory dies are on the retired list and won't be available after May 3rd.  Boo hoo.  I love the bold images and the 'scripty' font  and sentiments.  Those sentiments are really going to be missed by me.  I love the more general sentiments that can be used for many different occasions, and these have worked well for me. 

I was wandering around Pinterest and found this tri-fold card idea and was totally hooked.  I knew it was something I needed to share with you.  From one piece of DSP you can make two of the same style of cards, or only use half of it and save the rest for something else.  Your call...  Then with another of the print sheets, you can die-cut all those lovely magnolia flowers using the die from the set that either cuts a stamped image or the DSP image.  I think I got carried away with the die-cutting and actually cut the flowers from the whole sheet!  I didn't actually count how many I got, but it was definitely over 20 of them.  So now I've got a pile of them to play with.  Better get motivated!

Here you can see the cards a little better.  Aren't the prints just gorgeous?  I think they really make the card stand out.  To start you need one sheet of DSP that has prints on each side that go well together.  For myself, I thought the floral and stripes coordinated nicely so that's what I started with.  Cut it at 5 1/4" x 12".  Either cut the 2nd half at the same time to do two right away, or put the rest away for future reference.  Next step is to score this at 4" and again at 8" to make a tri-fold.  I kept the florals on the outside and the more subtle prints for the inside.

For the pink card, I cut a piece of Petal Pink cardstock to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" for the card base.  The folded DSP was attached to this with MultiPurpose Liquid Glue.  This gives you the base of the card to work with.

The next step was deciding the front focal point.  I decided to work with the Rectangle Stitched Framelits dies.  I cut a piece of Petal Pink using the 5th largest die, and then cut a Basic White layer from the next smaller die down from that.  I love the extra interest the stitching gives to the card.  It's very subtle, but it's there.  I knew I was using the sentiments from the set, so that was easy.  It was stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black, then the little magnolia blossom was added to the corner edge.  I decided I wanted everything layered flat on the card.  Yeah, can you believe it - no Dimensionals?!  But to me it looked better that way.  So adhesive attaching the Basic White to the Petal Pink and again to the card front.  I did add a few Genial Gems that will be coming in the new catalog that goes live on May 4th.  They are so pretty and sparkly.  Half have a peachy-pinky color and the other half of the package are a green tint.  Just gorgeous!

When you open the card, the first flap gives you a view of the backside of the DSP and you can see how striking the prints are together.  I thought about adding a sentiment in here, but decided against it.  You could easily add another piece of Basic White with a sentiment to this layer.  Just keep it flat unless this will be a hand-delivered card.  The Post Office seems to be getting quite excessively picky about bulky cards.  Anyway, I thought this looked pretty just like this without any added anything!







Here's the 2nd flap opened.  Doesn't it look totally different from the front?  I love the contrast from striking floral to the very soft pink and white stripes.  

I did add another layer of Basic White in here.  It was die-cut with the 3rd largest die from the set and has the same stitching.  The sentiment was again from the Good Morning Magnolia set and stamped with the Tuxedo Black ink.  To add some interest here, I stamped the little magnolia flower using Petal Pink to the corner for a soft touch.

Now, am I right?  Isn't this a fun fold to try on the card?  It really showcases the lovely prints and gives such a feminine look to this card.  But the ideas are mind-boggling!  I'm imagining so many other DSP prints that would be really showcased doing a card like this! Something very masculine and outdoorsy, or one very kid oriented. Oh the amazing possibilities! 

If you'd like to watch the video from Bronwen Stewart, here's the video address.  (314) Mystery Card - Creative Online Retreat - Trifold Card using Stampin' Up Flower and Field DSP. - YouTube  She used a different DSP and her card is just adorable.  Give it a check.

Thanks for making the time to stop by today to check out what I've been up to.  Hope this idea gets your creative juices going full tilt.  It sure got me hooked!  Have fun stamping, creating, and sharing  beautiful things.  It makes the world a much nicer place to be.

Blessings and many hugs,
Sharon


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. I know I'm totally hooked on this idea right now!

      Delete