Friday, February 25, 2022

Birthday Party Puffins

Happy Friday to you all!  I have a confession to make.  I've had the Party Puffins stamp set (found on page 67 of the Annual Catalog) for months, and I haven't touched that rubber to ink yet.  What's wrong with me?  I thought it was so cute, and it is.  I thought I'd use it a lot, but I haven't.  Oops!  My goal for today was to finally use the Party Puffins stamp set to make a birthday card.  Then I won't feel so guilty about it sitting there being unloved and unused.  My other goal was to use the Sale-a-bration freebie Sunshine & Rainbows 6" x 6" Designer Series Paper so that I could post one more time about it.  Yes, I'm running out of time to do that!  Sale-a-Bration ends Monday!!  So why not be very practical and put those two goals together and make one fun project?

Here's what I made today.  And look, it's even a Fun Fold into the bargain.  I guess I really checked off all the boxes on this card.  Hope you're interested in seeing how it's made.

The card starts with a Basic White cardstock base that's cut at 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored at 4 1/4" and folded in half.  Pretty basic so far.  The first layer of the Sunshine & Rainbows DSP is the Bermuda Bay diagonal stripe that's cut at 5 1/4" x 4".  This is attached to the card front with adhesive as usual.  From now on, the card is on its side with the fold along the top edge.

Next you cut a piece of Basic White cardstock 1" x 5" and fold in half.  This will attach in the back and hold the layers together in the front.  Put adhesive on one half on the inside of the folded strip and carefully measure where the center of the card is.  Then attach it to the back.  You can see the flap is standing up at this time - only attached under the card back.

The polka dot print is the next piece to work with.  It is cut at 6" x 4 3/4".  This is folded to make it 3" x 4 3/4".  One of the folded sides of this is then tucked under the original card as a flap to go around it. It also covers up the bottom end of the white cardstock flap you just attached to the back.  The other half folds up over the card front making another layer.   I hope this makes sense.  Check the pictures carefully to see the striped back side of the polka dot paper that shows when it's opened up.

Here is how it looks when the bottom flap is opened up.  This also shows how the sentiment layers are added to each consecutive opening flap.

For all the sentiment layers, I die-cut hexagons from the Beautiful Shapes Dies (found on page 50 in the 2022 January-June Mini Catalog) using Basic White cardstock.  The front flap has the largest hexagon shape.  Underneath this is the polka dot layer of DSP which uses the 2nd largest die to hold a sentiment and 3 little fish.  (This is also the size die I used to cut the striped Bermuda Bay DSP that covers the back of the large hexagon.)  When you open the polka dot flap, you find the last hexagon which is the smallest of the four in the set with another sentiment.

The images and sentiments used for this card are all from the Party Puffins stamp set.  The wording was all stamped with Bermuda Bay ink, and the puffin and six fishies were all stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  The puffin was stamped on the largest die-cut hexagon.  'Make a wish' and 3 fishies were stamped on the next largest hexagon.  The 3 extra little fishies were all stamped on a scrap of Basic White. The coloring on the puffin and fish was done with Stampin' Blends in these colors:  So Saffron, Mango Melody, Pool Party, Soft Seafoam, Granny Apple Green, Magenta Madness, and Flirty Flamingo.  The little fish bodies also have a light coating of Wink of Stella for fun.

After coloring the 3 extra fish, they were cut out with Paper Snips.  They were added to the card with Mini Glue Dots.  I debated about using Dimensionals, but with all the overlapping layers, I thought it'd be too bulky for mailing.

When the final flap of the card is opened, you get to the last sentiment with plenty of room to write your own sentiments.  The 'happy birthday' was stamped on the inner card using Bermuda Bay ink.

The very last item was adding a little bling for this party card.  The multi-tonal gems that were available with the Eden's Garden bundle were used here.  Surprisingly they pick up so many of the different polka dot colors and flash them back at you.  

Thanks so much for stopping in today to see what's going on.  Hope this multi-flapped card wasn't too confusing.  Just remember that you have one small flap going up, one pulling down, another going up, and then the inside of the card.  Hope that helps.  To be honest, I've read through this post three separate times now, and this is the best way that I can explain the card.  If you get real mixed up, give me a call and I'll try to walk you through it.

Thanks to all of you that have been placing orders.  I truly appreciate your business so much.  You've been much more than a customer to me; you've been my valued friend.  Keep having fun planning and making your cards.  And make sure you send them out to bless someone else's day.

Many hugs,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment