Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Hey Chick!

Hey there!  Looks like I needed to make a thank you card today, so I'm going off the beaten path for a while.   In fact, I'm so far off the beaten path today that I seem to have ended up in the yard with all the chickens.  But that's ok.  It's been a fun side excursion.  I'll be upfront with you and tell you I grabbed stamps from a bunch of different sets both current and retired.  I had a whole pile of them on my table when I was finished!

Today's card is all about the chickens and eggs.  Our daughter has made a new friend down here.  Her friend wanted to raise chickens, so she studied up on the many various breeds and then made her choices.  Last fall she received 4 dozen eggs that she would hatch into her chicken flock.  We've been getting updates and pictures on all these cute little fluff-balls that have now grown up to be feisty hens.  Oh, and one rooster with a major attitude.  There were a few more roosters, but they were passed on to another farm.  Anyway, the hens are finally laying eggs, and we were the recipient of 2 dozen gorgeous, colorful eggs.  Oh yum!  Thus the need for a thank you card with chickens and eggs on it!

The card started out with Mango Melody for a base that is 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half.  I chose that color because the yolks are just about that very color.  The next layer is Poppy Parade cut at 5 1/4" x 4".  Then a layer of Very Vanilla to do all the stamping and creating on.

I used a Blending Brush to add Cinnamon Cider ink to the bottom third of the cardstock for the ground and Balmy Blue near the top to lay in some sky.  Since I already had the Blending Brushes out, I did some blending of those two colors on scraps of Very Vanilla cardstock so I could die-cut some eggs.  I also used some Mint Macaron ink for this, because that was the color of some of the eggs we had received. After that, some grass from the Oceanfront stamp set was added to the ground area rather randomly using Garden Green ink.

Then one of the hens from Hey, Chick and one from Hey Birthday Chick were stamped on Very Vanilla scraps with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  These were colored with Stampin' Blends in these colors:
Daffodil Delight Light & Dark, Mango Melody Light & Dark, Pumpkin Pie Light, Poppy Parade Light.  It was fun blending these colors into one another and seeing just what I would come up with. 

For the inside of the card, I stamped two stamps from the Best of Cluck set.  These chicks were all colored with the mix of yellows and golden shades that were used on the chicks from the front of the card.  There's also a little of the Cinnamon Cider 'ground' underneath the bunch of chicks.

The extra chick (Best of Cluck) was stamped, cut out, and then attached over a strip of Poppy Parade cardstock that was placed at the right side.  I wanted to bring all the colors together inside the card too.

It was time to go back to the card front and start putting all those eggs and the two chicks together.

The chickens were positioned and the eggs laid out in a pleasing fashion.  The eggs were attached with Mini Glue Dots and kind of piled up together.  There is one egg more off to the side that has a Dimesional under it to make it pop.  The chickens have  a bunch of Mini Dimensionals under them, and there's one under the egg that's about to hatch too.

I didn't think there was a need for any bling in the chicken yard.  I may be wrong on that.  But I was afraid they would just try to eat any rhinestones I added thinking it was just their food!

Hope you enjoyed hearing all about the fancy chicks that my daughter's friend is raising.  Heather wants some too, but so far we've talked her out of getting her own and just hanging out at her friend's chicken yard.  Didn't know you could raise chickens in the city, but the gentleman behind us has a few and you can hear the rooster early in the morning.  Thank goodness he's not too loud and doesn't wake me up!  Guess things are a little different in the south.

Maybe we should make a goal to get out some stamps that we haven't played with in a long time and give them some ink and love.  It just seems to get the creative juices going when I work with something I haven't laid eyes on in over a year.  It's almost like playing with something new!!

Have fun and get creative, chick!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment