Monday, March 14, 2022

Birthday Waves Card

Hi all.  Yes, I'm still playing in the water with the Waves Collection.   This collection has so many possibilities, and I've just been scratching the surface.  Today's card was made for a friend's husband whose birthday is right around the corner.  He likes being outdoors, so hope he likes this card.  And anyway, the sentiments I've written inside will definitely fit him!

This card starts with a cardstock base of Daffodil Delight cut to 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half.  The first layer I used is Night of Navy cardstock cut to 5 1/4" x 4".  Next up is the layer of Simply Marblous Designer Series Paper from Sale-a-Bration last month.  I thought the gray marble look would work for the background of a sky and sea.  This was cut to 5" x 3 3/4" to line up nicely on the Navy.

First the wave was stamped at the bottom of the DSP using Night of Navy ink.  I used the Stamparatus to hold the DSP in place and actually stamped the wave twice to get a nice clear image.  The birds from On the Horizon stamp set were stamped with Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  

The sentiment comes from the Let's Set Sail in the 2022 January - June Mini Catalog.  It was stamped with Night of Navy ink in the big open area to fill it in a little.

I removed the DSP from the Stamparatus after finishing the stamping to add the Daffodil Delight ink to it.  Using a Blending Brush, I built up layers of Daffodil Delight ink at the very top right corner for sunshine.  After getting it as bright as I wanted, I added some yellow to the wave area to make it look like the sunlight was shining through the water.  Not sure if it really worked out that way, but I can live with it.  😉

This layer was attached to the Night of Navy cardstock using adhesive.  Then it was attached to the folded Daffodil Delight card base using Dimensionals to give it some depth.

The inside of the card also has the two layers of Night of Navy and Basic White to carry the colors forward.  The Basic White layer is cut to 5" x 3 3/4".  The sentiment is stamped with Night of Navy ink.  The flock of birds were stamped off to the side using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  This was layered onto a piece of 5 1/4" x 4" Night of Navy cardstock using adhesive.  Then it was all attached to the inside of the Daffodil Delight card with adhesive also.

At this point I thought the card was finished.  But it still wasn't quite right.  I wasn't crazy about adding any of the rhinestones to this card either, colored or clear.  Hmmm.  Then I remembered the Shimmery Crystal Effects that I have.  It's found on page 128 of the Annual Catalog.  Don't know why I always forget about this tool.  It's so simple to use and just needs about an hour of drying time so it doesn't smudge.  I added just a bunch of teeny tiny droplets to the foamy waters like splashes.  If the card is lying flat, you can hardly tell that they're there.  But when it's angled and some light is hitting it, some of the glittery-ness (?) and shine just sparkles so pretty!  Oh sorry, not pretty - it's for a guy you know.  "It has a nice subtle shine."  (How's that?  Not too frou-frou?)

Anyway, all kidding aside, I like how this card turned out.  I find it amazing how many different looks can be had by changing ink colors, cardstock, and DSP.  It's pretty remarkable.  If you're thinking about getting this set, you can either wait until the next catalog comes out in a couple months or get it now during the Sneak Peek time.  It's up to you.  Either way, it's awesome!

Have fun stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. Shimmery Crystal Effects is perfect for this card. This is such a beautiful set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Barb. Yes, the Shimmery Crystal Effects is perfect. I don't know why I always forget I have it!

    ReplyDelete