Monday, January 16, 2023

Copying Connie Again

Hello Friends!  Hope you're doing well and staying busy.  For today's post, I'm sharing my version of a card my sister sent me and then sharing her card.  I loved the look of her card and knew I had nothing that she used to make it.  Darn!  When talking with her, she challenged me to come up with something close using what I had.  It took me a lot of thinking before I decided to take up her challenge.  First, I'll show you what I've made, then share her idea that I copied and selectively edited.  Then you can let me know if I came up with a viable copied idea.

Here it is!  I love the crisp, clean look of just green and white.  All the lovely layering of leaves really makes this card special.  This is how it's made...

Start with a piece of Basic White Thick cardstock that measures 11" x 4 1/4", scored at 5 1/2".  There is some stamping directly onto this.  Both the Natures's Prints (page 91) and Botanical Layers (page 93) were used to stamp leaves.  The largest stem from the Nature's Prints set was used with Soft Succulent ink to stamp once on the top right side of the card and once on the left bottom of the card.  I used a scrap piece of paper to mask the area where I didn't want the stems to show in the middle of the card.  The thick leafy stem from Botanical Layers was stamped on the left top with Evening Evergreen ink.   The smaller leafy stem was stamped on the bottom right with the same ink.

Over the stamped images, a layer of the Vellum Layering Designs was placed.  I used a piece with subtle, tiny white writing all over it.  It measures 5 1/4" x 3".  It's attached only through the area that the wording will go using a strong adhesive.

Then come the die-cut leaves.  I used the Splendid Stems Dies from the July-December 2022 Mini Catalog.  (I don't know why I thought it was in the regular catalog and still current, sorry!)  Four of the open-work dies were used to cut Basic White, Soft Succulent, and Evening Evergreen cardstock. The leafy spray from Framed Florets Dies was used also.  Some of these needed the stems trimmed to fit.  Then they were attached to the vellum with adhesive making sure all the stem ends were hidden.

For the banner across the card, I started with a piece of Basic White that measured 4 1/2" x 1 1/2".  Using the Basic Borders Dies, a stitched zig-zag was cut to make it about 1 1/4" at the widest tips.  A sentiment from the Splendid Thoughts stamp set was stamped with Evening Evergreen ink close to the center.

A piece of Evening Evergreen cardstock was cut to frame the white piece top and bottom.  It measured 4 1/4" x 1 3/8".  They are attached together with adhesive.  Then it was attached to the card front using Dimensionals for a little height.

Five of the Opal Rounds were sprinkled on for some bling.  I just had to add them!

You know me and left-over strips of paper.  The left-over zig-zag piece was attached to a piece of Evening Evergreen that was only 5/8" wide.  These were attached to the bottom of the inside of the card to carry the design over.

Here's the original card.  If you look closely, you'll see that just about everything on the card has been changed.  Like I said, she used all the things I didn't have.  I love the look of those really big open leaves.  So pretty.  Plus, there's a touch of another color green in there.  Looks like it could be Old Olive.

Now if you want to make your version of this card, go right ahead.  If you'd like to send me a picture of the card to share here, be my guest.  I'd love to see what you're creating, and I'll try to add them to this post.  This could be fun!

Thanks for stopping by again today.  I'm working on more projects to share with you.  I miss you all and feel that this is a good way to stay in touch.  And I truly love to hear from you about not only what I'm sharing with you and what you're doing with the ideas, but life in general.  Love you!

Happy stamping and creating!
Sharon

4 comments:

  1. Looks really great. Aren't you glad you took the challenge! I love that you used current stamps and dies where the original used what was current when it was made but is now retired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Connie, I'm glad you push me to get out of the box I'm used to and try something different.

      Delete
  2. They are both lovely! Curiously, several of us got together to stamp on Monday and I was working on a green and white foliage card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green and white foliage cards are really striking. I guess great minds think alike! ;)

      Delete