Friday, February 24, 2023

Thanks a Bunch Valentines

 Hey Friends!  I know this whole idea is waaayyyy late, but the ideas will work for other things instead of valentines.  So why not?  I just didn't get around to sharing these in a timely manner as I should have, and I've been debating with myself ever since about posting them.  These cards use that 'carrot stamp set' that's part of the Sale-a-bration line-up this year.  Since there are only a few more days left of Sale-a-bration, I figured I needed to give you another idea for this set.  When I first saw the set, my first thought was what would I ever use that for?  Then I started seeing all kinds of fun, creative ideas and was hooked.  Here are two of the valentine cards I made for my grandsons.  They aren't into mushy so I was going for fun.  They seemed to like them, so here they are for you.

Here they are in all their 'carrot-y' glory.  Doesn't much look like valentine cards, right?  That's why I think you could use the idea for other things if you just changed out the 'love you' sentiment.  But actually, even that isn't a problem if you're just sending a note, is it?  These cards do say 'happy valentines day' inside, so that really would have to change if you weren't making valentine cards.

Both cards started with a base of Pale Papaya cut at 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored 4 1/4" and folded in half. And that's where they go their separate ways.

Here we start by adding a piece of Pumpkin Pie cardstock that measures 5 1/2" x 2 1/2".  It's embossed with the Cane Weave Embossing Folder that's in the current Mini Catalog.  I love the wonderful texture this gives it!  It's attached to the card base about 1/2" from the left side using Multi Purpose Liquid Glue.  This really holds those heavily embossed layers to the card without popping off a couple of months later.  It's become my go-to adhesive for any embossed layers.

Next, I cut a Basic White layer for stamping the main images.  The Deckled Rectangle Dies were used for this.  The measurement is about 3 1/2" x 2 1/4".  

When stamping the carrots, I tried to keep the top of the carrot at about the center of this cardstock piece.  The carrots are stamped with both Pumpkin Pie and Pale Papaya inks.  Before I started stamping on the card, I stamped one carrot on Masking Paper found on page 149 in the Annual Catalog.  I've been using this more lately and find it quite helpful.  Since it's sticky all over, it's not as hard as stamping on a Post It Note and trying to keep as much of your design in the little sticky strip.  It was easy to keep moving that little carrot around on the design wherever it was needed.

For the green tops, I used both Parakeet Party and Granny Apple Green inks.  The Parakeet Party was stamped across the carrots 3 times.  Then the Granny Apple Green ink was stamped twice to fill in and give it more depth.

A length of Parakeet Party 1/8" Metallic Woven Ribbon was wrapped around and tied into a bow for an accent.

A 1/2" piece of Basic White cardstock has the sentiment stamped on it with Pumpkin Pie ink.  The ends were trimmed a little shorter, then the Banners Pick A Punch was used to flag the ends.  

Both pieces were attached to the embossed Pumpkin Pie section of the card front using Dimensionals.

The inside sentiments were stamped with Pumpkin Pie and Memento Tuxedo Black ink.  "A bunch" comes from the Thanks a Bunch stamp set.  "Big" comes from the Whale Done stamp set.  I used a Basic Black Marker to make the insert mark for the word big.  The valentine sentiment comes from Country Bouquet stamp set found on page 10 of the current Mini Catalog.


The second card uses most of the same colors as the first.  The changes include a 2" strip of a print from the Dainty Flowers DSP that was available during Sale-a-bration, but it has sold out.  What a pity because I really loved the prints in that DSP!  Truly fun to create with!

The checked paper strip is a piece of Country Gingham Designer Paper.  These colors are so soft and spring-like.  I just love them.  Yes, I know - me and my pastel fetish!  ha ha   But if you love pastels like I do, you can find them on page 9 of the current Mini Catalog.

The circles were cut with the Stylish Shapes Dies.  One is cut from Basic White and the other from Pumpkin Pie.  The carrots are stamped with Pumpkin Pie ink and the greenery with Parakeet Party and Pear Pizzazz.  The sentiment piece was cut with the Stitched Rectangle Die.

And there you have it.  A little late for Valentine's Day, but cute card ideas anyway.  When your grandsons start growing up and are definitely not into cutesy stuff anymore, you have to think out of the box a bit.  Right?  And revisiting these cards also reminded me of all the chocolates we made for Easter a bunch of years ago.  Remember all those little bags of carrots we made from colored white chocolate?  Oh my!!  Memories!  Maybe I should make these into Easter cards for the boys and make some of those orange-colored chocolate carrots to go along with it!?  Hmm, I think I like that idea!

So that's it for today.  Just a few more days to take advantage of the Sale-a-bration deals.  I'm so sorry the Dainty Flowers DSP is already gone, but there are many other fun things still available.  Thanks for sharing a few moments and maybe that cup of coffee with me this morning.  Hope to hear from you - leave a comment here or call me.  Either works quite well.  I miss you all.  Have a blessed day!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments: