Saturday, December 18, 2021

Peaceful Holly Card

Today I have a bold and bright Christmas card to share with you.  It took me awhile to get it right.   I shared the first version of this with my friend Ruth and my sister Connie.  They both agreed that it was way too busy and really needed help.  Connie and I brainstormed a bit, then I went down to my craft room, tore parts of it off, changed up parts of it and put it back together again.  Both ladies now gave it a thumbs up.  So here it is being shared with you today!

In person, it really is a bold, beautiful card with lots of layering and textures for all of you, like me, who are always 'touching' the cards that come in the mail.  I love the different textures and layers that make a card really stand out as different.

The card starts out with a base of Real Red cardstock that's cut at 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half.  There is a section of the Painted Christmas 12 x 12 DSP that is cut to 5 1/4" x 4".  This is attached to the folded Real Red card base using MultiPurpose Liquid Glue.

Over this is a section of Real Red cardstock that is 2 1/8" x 4 1/4".  This has two pieces of the 1/4" Gold Shimmer Ribbon wrapped around it and attached on the back.  Then this is attached to the front of the card, just a little lower than center.  To give this area some texture and interest without becoming overpowering, I added a layer of Real Red cut 4" x 1".  Before attaching to the card front, this was embossed with the Tasteful Textiles 3D Embossing Folder.  I think this bit of extra texture really adds so much to the finished look.  If you don't own this embossing folder yet, you need to get one for yourself!  It's such a wonderful basic look that enhances just about any card you might make.

Now on to all the 'fun stuff'!  The sentiment label was cut from Basic White with the Seasonal Labels Dies.  The sentiment was stamped with Real Red ink and is from the Inspired Thoughts stamp set.  A Blending Brush and both Shaded Spruce and Evening Evergreen inks added a little color to the edges.

The holly, berries, and pine needles are all from the Christmas Season stamp set.  The berries were stamped with Real Red, the holly leaves with Shaded Spruce, and the pine needles with Evening Evergreen inks.  Each were die-cut using the coordinating Seasonal Labels dies.  This makes it so easy to add all those wonderful pieces!

All of the stamped and die-cut pieces were added to the card front at this time.  They were either tucked under the sentiment or were attached with Dimensionals over it into a pleasing cluster.  While arranging all the pieces onto the card front, I decided to add 3 of the Gold Holly Leaves.  This brought out the shine of the bands of gold ribbon across the card.

One last picture to show the finished inside of the card.  I had a couple extra holly leaves and one little berry left over.  I couldn't neglect them, so I just had to tuck them in right next to the sentiment.  This sentiment is from the Perfectly Plaid stamp set. I love the font on this Merry Christmas and it seems to be the perfect size to use on so many cards.  For this card, it was stamped with Real Red ink.

As a finishing touch, I had a 1/2" strip of one of the smaller prints from the Painted Christmas Designer Paper.  I thought it was a cute addition to add to the bottom of the Basic White layer and ties all the colors together.

That's it for today.  I know I'm cutting it really close to Christmas for sharing these cards.  But at this point in time, I'm really not making much of anything else.  I'm trying to get all my own cards out in the mail.  Unfortunately, at last count I'm about 15 cards short of my goal.  Guess I need to get back to my craft room and make a few more.  Hope you're farther ahead than I am and have all your Christmas cards out in the mail already.  Oh well, better late than never is going to be my motto this year.  I might even get around to making a cookie batch or two during the Christmas break for the grandsons and they can have some fun helping.  I don't think they'll care too much that the cookies weren't made weeks ago!

Christmas Blessings to you and your family!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment