Friday, March 3, 2023

Around the Bend Side Fold Card

Good morning!  The sun is shining again today and that always makes me happy.  There's just something about basking in the sun that seems to raise my spirits.  So on those sunny days, I need to get out on the deck and soak up some rays. I'm enjoying the many blooming trees around here - pear, tulip tree, weeping cherry, and forsythia. And all the daffodils blooming in my neighbors' yards.  Oh, I love it!  The sight just makes my heart sing.  But on to stamping.  I have some cards to share with you today that have been floating around in my brain since I first saw this bundle in the January - April Mini Catalog this year.  If you want to play along, the Around the Bend Bundle is found there on page 35.  It looks kind of strange, but it's really cool to create with the dies.  I haven't used the stamps much, but I'll get around to that soon, I hope.

Aren't these cards cute?  They are still the regular size of 5 1/2" x 4 1/4", but they have a side fold and cool flap to close them.  The prints on the front are both from the Hello, Irresistible Designer Series Paper that is available now as an Online Exclusive.  This paper will become one of your favorites once you start using it.  It's soft with gorgeous colors and prints.  Try it - you'll like it!
For my post today, I'll be focusing on the slightly darker version.  It starts with a piece of 6" x 6" DSP that gets trimmed to 4 1/4" x 6".  It's scored at one of the ends at 1/2".  When folded, this ends up being the regular card size.  The 1 3/4" x 6" strip that's left over can easily be used for another card.

A piece of Soft Sea Foam was cut to measure 8 1/2" x 4 1/4".  The leafy v-shaped edge die from the bundle is used to cut this piece.  The point of the v comes out to the 8 1/2" edge.  After die-cutting, score it at 5 7/16" which is the little, tiny mark just before the 5 1/2" mark.  Next put adhesive on the inside of the 1/2" scored DSP and attach it to the plain end of the Soft Sea Foam card on the outside.  

This will be your basic card.  When it's opened, you have a lovely new print of DSP on the left side and the Soft Sea Foam on the center of the card, and the leafy flap on the very right end.  You can't get too much simpler for making a fancy card base.

For this card, a sentiment from the Around the Bend stamp set is used.  It's stamped with Lost Lagoon ink on a Basic White piece of cardstock. This was die-cut using the Layering Circles Die.  A piece of Lost Lagoon cardstock was also die-cut in the next largest size.  They are attached together off-center because I wanted something a little different.  They are attached to the card front using Dimensionals. Three of the Loose Frosted Dots in the blue tone are attached to the circles using small dots of Multi Purpose Liquid Glue.  It really helps to use the Take Your Pick Tool to add these little accents.

Here's the card I did right after the first one.  Changes include the back part of the card is made from Basic White Thick cardstock.  The DSP print is from the same Hello Irresistible pack, but a lighter print.  The sentiment was stamped with Basic Gray ink.  A small leaf from the same set was stamped under the sentiment using Soft Sea Foam ink.  The backing for the sentiment and the extra leaves added to the flap are all Soft Sea Foam cardstock.  A double bow of White and Silver Bakers Twine was added to the flap with a Mini Glue Dot.

It's so interesting to make a card using the same layout but changing the cardstock, DSP, and ink used.  I think I want to try this card again but use a brighter color palette, and maybe make another with darker colors.  It's so interesting to me how the whole look and feel of the card changes just because of the colors used.  That is definitely a big part of the fun of creativity!  Hope you give this card idea a try.  I think this is a really cool and different card.

BTW, it's taken me three days to finally get this ready to post.  So sorry for the very long wait.  We've been back to rainy and gray days again.  I certainly don't want you to think we're basking in sunshine every day.  That's hardly the case lately.  Many more rainy days than sunny.  That's why I have to really appreciate those sunny days when they appear.  Stay safe and stay warm in your winter weather.  Miss you!

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. These are beautiful - and I love the colors and patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Hello, Irresistible DSP is some of the most gorgeous paper I've ever seen!

      Delete
  2. Love this set! Your cards are always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete