Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Back to Daisies

Hello Friends!  We've been having rain off and on again lately, so I was looking for an idea that was bright and cheery looking.  I thought making the daisies in yellows would look about as cheerful as I could get.  So that was my idea when I started this card.  Then things changed a bit, as usual.  Still have daisies and still have yellow, but that's about the only part that is the same as my original idea.  Oh well, necessity is the mother of invention they say.  So, what would you call the mother of creativity?  Not having it look right and starting over from scratch??  Yep, that's my idea.  Hopefully you'll like what came out of a mish-mash of ideas and changes.

Here it is.  Isn't this nice and summery and oh, so cheerful looking?  Definitely bright. Let's start with the daisies, because that was the beginning of the whole card.  

The Cheerful Daisies stamp and die bundle is so very easy to work with.  For this card, all three layers of these daisies are die-cut.  The bottom layer is the three daisies that die-cut together and was cut from Daffodil Delight cardstock.  The top detail layer of each flower was die-cut from the new Lemon Lolly cardstock.  I originally was planning on using only the two yellow layers together, but it looked kind of blah.  I liked the white layer peeking out between the other two layers, so the detail layer was cut again using Basic White.  The white contrast really seemed to brighten the look.  While attaching these layers together with 'green glue', make sure that the layers are slightly twisted so that you can see all the colors together.

The flower centers were inked with Daffodil Delight ink, rolled a little on one side in Crushed Curry ink, then stamped onto Basic White cardstock.  The leaves were stamped with Parakeet Party ink on Basic White cardstock.  The leaves were all off-stamped before stamping to keep the color light and bright.  Six of the leaves were stamped, then the leaves and the flower centers were all die-cut with coordinating dies.

Switching gears here, I thought that a white and navy design would offset the daisy colors.  I just received the Countryside Corners stamp and die bundle that I really wanted to try out.  It is just one stamp that has six concentric octagons that stamp all together.  Then there are dies that let you cut those designs into multiple frames.  You can die cut each one separately, or cut them in chunks where 2, 3, or more frames are left together to form a sort of bull's eye effect.  I stamped it in Night of Navy ink onto Basic White cardstock.  I used the second and third dies from the center to cut the dotty frame.  I used the fourth from the center die to cut a Night of Navy piece to frame the white.  Then used the fourth and fifth from the center to cut the stitched white frame. 

I cut another piece of white cardstock that used the third from center die.  The sentiment from the Wonderful Thoughts stamp set was stamped on this using Night of Navy ink.  There are still a few pieces of frames left over for another project.  This was much easier to use than I thought.  An important tip when cutting multiple frames together is to use washi tape to hold the pieces place so they don't shift during the cutting process.  This made them very easy to cut either one or the whole batch at the same time.

At this point, I still thought the card base would be white.  But the more I played around with all the different layers, I changed my mind.  I still kept the card base as Basic White cardstock that measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2".  But I added a Parakeet Party layer next instead.  This is cut so there's only a tiny frame of white behind it.  It measures 5 3/8" x 4 1/8".  Before adding it to the card base, it was run through the Basic 3D Embossing Folder using the cross-hatch design.  This is one of those great Online Exclusive items that has quickly become of basic staple in my stamp room.

To finish the card, the Parakeet Party layer was attached to the Basic White card base using 'green glue'.  The octagon pieces were all layered together as shown and attached with 'green glue'.  Lastly, the daisies were attached to the corner of the framing.  They were also attached with 'green glue' except for the flower centers which were attached with one Dimensional in the center of each.

The clear Rhinestone Basic Jewels were scattered across the card front for some sparkle.  

That's it for my post today.  I hope it didn't totally confuse you with the Countryside Corners Bundle.  It's really kind of cool to work with and I'll have to revisit that soon.  More to come on that idea.  Have fun with your stamping and don't fret when some project doesn't work out the way you envisioned it.  It's just a chance to spread those 'creativity wings' and try something a little different.  Thanks for stopping by today.

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. This is a very cheery card. I agree with using green as a background rather than white and navy with green works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. You're so good to help me feel better about my choices. Sometimes I'm not sure why I make those choices, but they feel right at the time. I trust your judgement and artistic eye.

      Delete