Friday, September 1, 2023

Christmas Classics

Hello there.  I finally got around to working with the new Christmas Classics Bundle yesterday.  I just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, so I put it off until now.  Do you ever get something new and absolutely love it, but are stumped for an idea to sort of "break the ice"? It seems like that first try out of a new set is always the hardest for me.  Yes, there are some projects you'll never see.  Can't imagine why!  😂😉  My sister Connie sent me a package in the mail with lots of goodies in it.  One of the items was a retired bit of DSP named Delightful Daisy.  I don't know if you remember it, but it was always one of my favorites.  As soon as I saw the knitted DSP print, I knew what I wanted to make using the Christmas Classics Bundle.  Isn't it funny how a small thing will spark a new idea that you've been struggling and fretting over?  So here's the card...

So weird how the camera really accentuates one color and seem to change it and make it stand out.  On this picture the band of DSP looks more of a greyed green than in real life.  Oh well, I'm sticking with this idea anyway.

Start with a card base of Mossy Meadow that measures 8 1/2" x 5 1/2", scored and folded in half.  The 1 3/4" strip of DSP is layered across this attaching it with adhesive.  If you want more of a contrast between the DSP and card base, attach a 2" strip of Very Vanilla cardstock between the two pieces.

The die-cut greenery layer is from the Christmas Classics die set.  It's die-cut from Old Olive cardstock.  Run the die back and forth an extra time to make sure all the detail pieces just pop out.  There is a square die that fits in the piece just perfectly.  It's used to die-cut the Very Vanilla cardstock.  Two of the holly branches from the same set were stamped with Mossy Meadow ink and die-cut also.

The sentiment is from the Christmas Classics set and is my favorite.  It's stamped with Mossy Meadow ink.  The little design in the corners is from the same set.  They are stamped with Moody Mauve.  The three holly berries are also stamped with Moody Mauve and then die-cut.  The holly branches were colored with Old Olive Blends.

The two holly branches were attached behind the Very Vanilla sentiment piece.  The three holly berries were attached on top of this using a Mini Glue Dot behind each of them.  The Very Vanilla layer was attached to the Old Olive detail layer using adhesive.

The detailed Old Olive layer was attached to the card front using Dimensionals to hold it up.  This way the details really show up nicely because of the shadows.

For an accent, a double bow was made from the Metallic Woven Ribbon in Parakeet Party.  About 15" of ribbon was used to make the bow.  I really like the hint of shine from the Metallic Ribbon.  A couple of Mini Glue Dots were used to attached it to the card front.

As an added accent, a single one of the Festive Pearls was used in each corner of the sentiment layer.  A quick swipe of Wink of Stella was used on each of the holly berries to finish.

I love the idea of mixing the old and new together.  We all have retired items that we don't want to part with so it's worth the time and effort to incorporate them into our new projects.  Plus, this means I have one more card made for my Christmas stash.  This has given me a few more ideas for using this wonderful Christmas stamp set too.  You'll have to come back to see what I make next.

The countdown is happening.  Today is September 1st already!  Where has the summer gone?  But with September comes the new Mini Catalog.  Only a few more days to wait.  The 6th is the day you can start ordering from the new Mini Catalog.  Hope you've got your Wish List started.

Happy stamping and creating,
Sharon

2 comments: